It was always my plan to contribute pmatch to Debian, however it turned out that including it is a bit controversial - see Debian bug and discussion on mentors. I've decided to stop maintaining pmatch, close the project and move on. Please use any of the alternatives instead.
What is it?
Some time ago I was looking for a utility that would find (and possibly remove) duplicate files. I have found few of them but none was complex enough for what I wanted... hence the idea of "Perfect Match"! My main requirements were:
- quick compare - i.e. first compare files based on size, then hash (I wouldn't really call the current implementation "quick" but I'll work on that)
- perform some logic when choosing which duplicate should be removed
At this moment there is no installer available for pmatch.
- Login to your system as a root
- Install log4r:
gem install log4r
- Download pmatch version 0.4.0
- Copy it to the folder covered by your $PATH variable:
cp pmatch /usr/local/bin/
- Fix permissions:
chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/pmatch
- Switch to your normal user - now you should be able to use
pmatchfrom any place
Alternatively, simply drop me a line - email is at the bottom of the page.
How to submit patches
Read the 8 steps for fixing other people’s code.
The trunk repository is
svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/pmatch/trunk for anonymous access.
This code is free to use under the terms of the GPL v3 license. Contact me if you would like to see it distributed with some other licence.
Whatever it is you want to share with me, please send an email to
nexor |nospamplease|@ poczta.onet.pl.
You can follow me on twitter: zabuch
or read my technical blog.
I recommend: vacation by the Baltic Sea.